[Asterisk-Users] I have my asterisk machine behind a Linux, Nat ...

steve steve at supertec.com
Sat Mar 18 09:02:54 MST 2006

    I would like to make a suggestion and recommend that you put your Asterisk box on the outside and let it also pull duty as your firewall/nat router.  The iptables overhead will be minimal on the system and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run.
    The biggest problem being that having an asterisk server behind a nat, and then also having sip phones trying to connect to said server across the internet, which are most likely behind their own nats creates lots of issues.  For instance you'll see that the phone registers with the server ok but cannot make calls, or you'll have one-way voice issues, etc, etc.
    If you need some help getting it set up this way contact me off-list and I'll give you a hand.  I've done it several times this way and its not really that hard.

Regards,
Steve Cayona