[Asterisk-Users] RFC 2833 and SIP? DTMF? What am I not getting?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Mar 16 13:36:45 MST 2006

Hi again,

I am trying to get my DTMF to use RFC 2833 rather then inband, so that
I can utilize lower bandwidth codecs through my FXO.

After much tinkering I was able to get my gateway (wellgate 3701A)
configured to a point where I have some success,  but no real joy.

I have configured the RTP Payload type (or RFC2833 Payload type) to
101.  I don't have a clue what this means,  but I took the 101 from my
AG168V ATA's configuration screen, as I know that device seemed to work
fine through the old HT-488 fxo(via rfc2833).

I then changed my asterisk extensions for both the FXS and FXO on the
wellgate to include dtmfmode=rfc2833.

This has brought me to a point where both my hardphones (ATA's) and my
softphones (IAXcomm, or JackenIAX) work perfectly with comedian mail.

To me this means that asterisk is properly getting the RFC2833 events
from the user agents.

BUT, if I try to dial out the FXO, none of my phones (hard or soft)
produce working touchtones for a PSTN based voicemail system.

Even stranger to me, is the fact that from the phone connected to the
FXS on the wellgate I can hear tones(listening on a called line), but
they sound kind "rough" at the edges.  From the AG168V  I hear no
tones,  but what seems to be "blown out" tones (ie overdriven volume).
 From the IAX softphones I hear no tones at all just clicks!

Now I would have guessed that the FXO would be doing the conversion of
the RFC2833 to inband, so that I thought all the tones should sound the
same from any phone?  Apparently this isn't the case at all.

Thanks to all of you for any help understanding and or debugging this
mess.

Marty

PS I spent a good deal of time adjusting the DTMF volume for the
wellgate FXS/FXO hoping this might help before I discovered the variety
of non working DTMF being generated.