[Asterisk-Users] echo problem + choppy sound

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Mar 14 09:37:23 MST 2006

Based only on what I see below (from previous posts), it sounds like you
have two separate issues going on: 1) echo, and, 2) choppy sound. Those
should be analyzed as two problems (not one).

You will find plenty of posts in the archives relative to both. In
general terms, the choppy audio most often is caused by shared IRQ's
when using a x100p or TDM400 card, and sometimes from a misconfigured
ethernet nic on the asterisk machine. For the nic card, ensure you are
running full duplex on the nic "and" whatever the nic is plugged in to.
Both need to be the same (half duplex will work in a low usage
environment, but full duplex is preferred.)

For the IRQ issue (and we are all assuming you are using a TDM04b card
since you really didn't say), do a 'cat /proc/interrupts' and make sure
your TDM card is on its own IRQ. If it is shared with other devices, it
is likely the cause for choppy audio. You'll see the TDM driver wctdm on
that list. If it is shared, then move the TDM card from one pci slot to
another to get it on its own IRQ.

The echo problem is going to be almost aways related to "too high" of
gains in zapata.conf.  Your rxgain=10 and txgain=10 are way too high as
others have already noted. Try reducing those to 0 and restart asterisk.
Then increase the values (if needed) by increments of 2 until you find a
balance between low volume and echo.  I'd suggest doing that "after"
resolving the IRQ/choppy audio issues.