[Asterisk-Users] Re: Clustering "NEW THREAD", Almost Working

JR Richardson jr.richardson at cox.net
Mon Mar 13 22:37:08 MST 2006

JR Richardson wrote:
  > I'm very open to suggestions.  I feel like I'm so close but also
still far
> away.

What happens when your DB flakes out or needs to come down for
inevitable maintenance?
(no, I am not ripping on MySQL here)

How much Post Dial Delay do you have as your database gets more and more
utilization?
(yes, I am ripping on realtime here)

What happens if for some reason if a phone gets registered on more than
one server?

What happens if your single DUNDi server hangs or needs to come down?

Jeremy McNamara

Jeremy,
Good questions.  I'm in the testing and planning phase of this design,
trying to get things ginned up and working properly prior to scaling.  MySQL
will be in a High Availability arrangement, not a single server but the
database will be replicated over several as the read activity from the
registration servers increase load.

MySQL has some cool load balancing techniques that should eliminate post
dial delay as all the data request will be directed across the data cluster,
not just one server.

I've already experienced a phone being registered on 2 servers at once, this
is a product of long registration times and sip peer caching, which I will
try and address by reducing the registration time along with pruning sip
peers and realtime cache for phones that become unreachable.

The single DUNDi Master Peering Server is single for now, just testing, but
I have 2 thoughts there.  1. With this server just being used for lookups,
this function can be monitored and failed over to a hot standby server, the
cache would build back up over time, but call processing would continue with
active lookups.  2.  I could have an active secondary that also peers with
all the registration servers, and all the registration servers peer with the
2 or more peering servers.

The hardest thing here is eliminating the routing loops, mostly due to no
route summarization, not sure how to get around that just yet.  Could use
some help if you have any ideas.

JR