[Asterisk-Users] music on hold without mpg123

Lenz lenz-ml at loway.it
Mon Mar 13 09:40:05 MST 2006

Hello list,
after the last time that mpg123 wen ballistic on our production system, we
decided to skip mp3 playback altogether and to go for raw files. After
half an hour playing with mpg123 and sox parameters in order to translate
a mp3 file to a wav file that can be streamed back through * with no need
for an mp3 decoder, I thought I'd post the result to the list to avoid
wasting time in the future:

The correct paramater set seems to be:

mpg123 -s --rate 44100 --mono /src/mp3/fpm-sunshine.mp3 > fpm-sunshine.raw
sox -r 44100 -w -s -c 1 fpm-sunshine.raw -r 8000 -c 1 fpm-sunshine.wav

I have also prepared a small tutorial explaining how to setup the whole
thing (you can find it at http://www.oinko.net/astrecipes/index.php?n=152
- feel free to add or modify it if you think it's necessary).

Thanks
l.

--
Loway Research - Home of QueueMetrics