[Asterisk-Users] Voice problem

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 13 04:19:46 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:33 -0800, Gabriel Afana wrote:
> Andrew,
>     From what I've read, ISDN is *not* a very good platform for VoIP
> because it introduces a great deal of latency and jitter.  Latency
> will cause communication to be difficult.  Jitter will cause the calls
> to be choppy sounding.

Where did you get that idea? ISDN is a digital TDM technology and as
such does not have jitter and negligible latency (read up on TDM). ISDN
and VoIP don't have anything to do with each other other than that an
Asterisk box might be a SIP/IAX2 <--> PSTN gateway using Basic Rate of
Primary Rate ISDN on the trunk side on the Asterisk box.

Regards,
Patrick