[Asterisk-Users] Multiple IAX clients behind a firewall

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon Mar 13 02:34:19 MST 2006

On 13 Mar 2006, at 05:54, Adrian Carter wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I've searched the wiki, and my basic assumption at this point is
> to run multiple IAX clients behind NAT I need to specifically code
> each client to use a different port and then setup that port to be
> forwarded from the NAT router to their private IP address.
>
>    At the moment, I can't seem to get more than one IAX client
> registered behind NAT... am I correct in my above assumption or
> have I missed something ?

No, asterisk's iax treats the combination of apparent-ip-address and
port as unique.
So in fact you do best to turn off any port forwarding. That way your
NAT device will allocate
different ports for each client, sharing the same IP address.

This works because IAX re-registers (or qualifies) the connection
every 60 seconds, which is enough
to keep the mapping in most NATing router's caches.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com