[Asterisk-Users] ADPCM - vs - G.726

Whisker, Peter peter.whisker at logicacmg.com
Sat Mar 11 07:25:49 MST 2006

The G.726 codec is the current Asterisk 1.2  version (revision 7221). I
am using G.711a (alaw) between a Sipura ATA and Asterisk at each end of
the link and am testing alternative codecs on an IAX link (not in trunk
mode) between the two Asterisk servers. (Yes, I know that the Sipura can
do G.726-32 also).

When I have G.726 switched in as the codec, it seems to add a little
gain as well as the clipping clicks. If I use G.711 on the
Asterisk-Asterisk link there is no problem. ADPCM seems to behave better
than G.726 but is percepibly "fuzzy".

GSM as I expected sounds like an old pre-EFR mobile phone. And the rest
are worse or like G.729 or Speex, eat processor power. I have G.723 and
G.729 compiled from the Intel distro.

Peter