[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 + Sonicwall

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Fri Mar 10 15:52:21 MST 2006

On Fri, March 10, 2006 18:56, Rich Adamson said:

>> along.

>> >I've used the iaxcomm softphone and a snom 200 behind serveral
>> different
>> >sonicwalls over the past year or so without any problem. The sonicwall
>> >should not be a problem for iax calls at all.
>> >

>> OK apart of my beleive that sonicwall is a piece of crap (personal), try
>> to do a port forwarding for the IAX port (4569)
>
> I don't have a sonicwall here to test with. The ones that I was referring
> to are production units in Schools and Banks in the Midwest, and I was
> using iaxcomm (inside) to access asterisk (outside on a registered IP).
> In general terms, the customers that have them are very satisfied with
> them, but most don't have to deal with their tech support. The state of
> South Dakota has standardized on the sonicwall stuff and really have not
> had any significant issues (they have had some minor ones though).
>
> We've also configured some of those boxes to port forward (to the inside)
> for various functions, but none with udp 4569. Never had any issues other
> then making sure another rule isn't higher in the chain doesn't block
> first.
>
> The majority of those sonicwall boxes have been the larger units intended
> for small business use. No experience here with the small entry-level
> boxes.
>
> Our company does not resell any hardware or software, and we have no
> association with sonicwall whatsoever.

SonicWALLs are targeted at SMB and above. They don't really have
'entry-level'  boxes. I currently have a TZ170 and SonicPoint combo, and
don't have any serious issues with it. There are some minor issues, but
there's no product I know of that doesn't have some issues...

On the whole I am pretty satisfied with them and would recommend them to
others. (BTW: I do not sell SonicWALLs nor do I work for the company)

Other people like Zyxel's, which I think are crap... To each their own!  ;-)

--
Francesco Peeters
----