[Asterisk-Users] ADPCM - vs - G.726

Whisker, Peter peter.whisker at logicacmg.com
Fri Mar 10 09:45:31 MST 2006

I have been looking at the medium-rate codecs in Asterisk - ADPCM and
G.726. Both of these are adaptive PCM codecs - the G.726 one is a little
more expensive in processing power, however both are 32k bit-rate.

I am experiencing problems using G.726 where the audio level is high. It
produces loud clicks as if clipping. For quiet audio however, it seems
fine.

ADPCM (Digilogic VOX?) seems to be better in this respect without the
clicks but has slight artifacts audible.

Anybody had the same problems with G.726? I can't find any comparisons
out there between the two codecs - does anyone have a link?

Thanks
Peter