[Asterisk-Users] Some ignorance here, what exactly is a Session Control Border? (Verizon is asking me about this)

Gabriel Afana asterisk at gafana.com
Fri Mar 10 00:11:01 MST 2006

Hey everyone,
    I am working with Verizon to terminate SIP calls for me.

MY QUESTION:  I notice the diagram shows only one asterisk server (softswitch).  Since asterisk is not very good at clustering (appearing as one entity), I would have to have multiple servers (softswitches).  You mentioned "You will give us the IP addresses of your softswitch(es) and that will allow communication between your network and ours."  If I gave you 3 IP addresses (to three asterisk softswitches), how would you hand off the calls unless there was some policy defining which calls go to which IPs.

THEIR RESPONSE: I only represented one softswitch, because many of my previous customers only have one.  Since you will have multiple softswitches, do you plan on implementing a session border controller?  This would allow us to point the traffic to the SBC and thereby eliminating the worry of trying to separate the traffic.  Are all the Asterisks going to be in the same location?

    Soooo, what does she mean by a session border controller?  As I understand, * is the SBC right?  If not, how would an SBC fit into the picture with Asterisk?

- Gabe

P.S. And yes, I have thought about SER as a solution to this and have not yet given it a try.