[Asterisk-Users] MultiBRI in Australia - found one - maybe

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 9 17:06:32 MST 2006

I have been involved with a BRI install using 3 x Draytek minivigor 128 BRI
adapters and chan_mISDN.  The draytek units use the HFCS-USB chipset, are
USB and take power from the USB interface.  Each adapter will support PTP,
PTMP, TE and I think NT mode with a maximum of 8 adapters (16 channels) per
server.  The TA's themselves cost $71 inc GST which is the most cost
effective BRI / multi BRI solution I have found in Australia to date.

I have one in production for about a week, however chan_mISDN is still
listed as experimental at this time.  Initially with FC4 and the default FC4
kernel the server used to lock up solid about once every 24 hours.  It has
been suggested to us that people using kernel 2.6.14 or higher do not
experience these problems so we rebuilt the server with the new kernel and
put it in yesterday.  We should find out in a couple of days if this has
fixed the lockup problem.  If we can't resolve it we'll stick in a Cisco
router to handle the BRI.

Anyhow, apart from the lockup problem, it does definitely work and if the
lockup is in chan_mISDN then you could use chan_capi on top of mISDN with
these adapters.  I have a server in production elsewhere using the Fritz!
card with mISDN drivers and chan_capi for over a year.

So, if you have have the ability to do some testing then definitely have a
play with these Draytek adapters.  I got mine from Netbro in NSW.  Note that
it is only the currently available minivigors that have the HFCS-USB
chipset, older ones on the secondhand market and eBay most likely use a
Winbond chipset.

As for aesthetics, I was concerned that from the customers viewpoint it
might look dodgy, as if we are using the equivalent of external modems to
connect the PBX to the pstn, however the units are quite small and have a
business feel to them.  They look sorta like an ADSL line splitter and
cabled neatly look quite professional.

Craig