[Asterisk-Users] System Design

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Thu Mar 9 09:04:51 MST 2006

> The DSL speed at the remote office is 1.5 to 6.0 Down and 384 to 608 up.
> The DSL does have a static IP address and it's pretty rock solid in
> regards to stability.

Curious, why the huge range in numbers?  I have 1.5mb/s down and
512kb/s up, it's always been that.  Or do you mean you have 6.0mb/s
down and 608kb/s up, but in testing sometimes the actual speed tests
lower?  Anyways, just curious.  If you could keep the upload at 608
that'd be great.  384 is a tad on the low side, but even handling
uncompressed calls you could handle 3-4 calls.  Using compression will
help out a lot, especially if you're using that link for non-voip
purposes.  You'll definitely need some kind of qos.  I'd go with
another box, preferably one that doesn't require cooling and has no
hard drive.  I'm just picky, but I hate having multiple points of
failure.  Another server thrown in could have a fan fail (either
locking it up or burning up the processor) or have the hard drive fail
(and your whole network is brought down until you take the qos server
out of the way).  That's another reason I run qos on the asterisk box
(I'm cheap, and it's one less possible point of failure, and one less
thing to plug into my ups).  I'm guessing you're going to run some
kind of nat?  Whatever you run the nat server on, have that handle qos
too.  Actually, throw on a decent firewall too.  Any low-end cpu
should be able to handle the load no problem, heck a 486 would do
(again, personally I'd look at a newer cpu that needs no fan to keep
cool, feel free to put one on it, but you'll know if it konks out your
network is a-ok).

> Would the remote office * need a couple of POTS lines to make those
> local calls?

It all depends.  How many local calls do you plan on making at a time?
 If generally you need four total incoming/outgoing calls via a local
line (that's incoming and outgoing combined, not separate), but will
very rarely need say, 5-6 or more, it may be cheaper to just get four
lines and any time a fifth call needs to go out, make it as a
long-distance call.  1.1cents/minute for a few calls will be cheaper
than paying for that fifth or sixth line.  Even if you have enough
pstn lines to handle all local calls, I'd still have it setup to
automatically let them make the call as a long-distance call, never
know when that important call needs to be made.  You can do the same
for incoming calls btw, get a feature called "Call Forward Busy" and
do NOT get call-waiting on the line.  When someone calls in, and the
line's busy, it'll forward to another number you have via voip
(whether it's a local number, or a toll-free number, doesn't matter).
Now on those incoming calls, you may get the callerid of the original
caller, or the callerid of your regular line (since in effect it's
calling your other number, forwarding it on).  In fact, you can get
this to simulate your own PRI with just a few cheap PSTN lines.  It'd
be setup something like this:

555-1000:  If busy, forward to 555-1001
555-1001:  If busy, forward to 555-1002
555-1002:  If busy, forward to 555-1003
555-1003:  If busy, forward to 555-1004
555:1004:  If busy, forward to 555-2000 (a voip number)
555-2000:  Unlimited inbound calls

Actually, you may want 555-1000 to immediately forward to 555-2000, if
bandwidth isn't a concern and the number you're forwarding to is a
local call.  In my case, there's no local voip providers and I have to
forward to a toll-free number, so I would want to keep the calls on
the pstn line.  Other than the possible caller-id issue (callerid may
be of your own pstn line, or of the caller), this setup should work
fine.