[Asterisk-Users] Festival tts

Antoine Megalla aatef at rocketmail.com
Thu Mar 9 06:27:02 MST 2006

I tried doing the same things as you to make Festival
work with Asterisk,
but I had a small problem with Festival only prducing
the sound if the text
was tess than 14 characters !!!!

So I used the other approach and used the text2wave
utility instead (I saw
on some postings that people recommended it) and it
wrols like a charm now.

Here is the complete macro I used for TTS:

[macro-sandtts]
exten => s,1,Set(FNAME=${EPOCH})
exten => s,2,System(echo "${ARG1}" |
/usr/bin/text2wave -scale 1.5 -F
000  -o /tmp/${FNAME}.wav)
exten => s,3,Playback(/tmp/${FNAME})
exten => s,4,System(rm /tmp/${FNAME}.wav)

First we creat ann (almost) unique file name
Next we call the text2wave utility with correct
switches and passing the
text we need to pronounce as input to the utility.
then we playback the generated wave file.
Finally we remove the generated wave file.

Just call the macro with the text you want to say and
it will work for you.

> Message: 28
> Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:43:56 -0000
> From: "Steven" <s.jack at compserv.gla.ac.uk>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Festival tts
> To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>

> Hi I have installed Festival on the same box as
asterisk and followed the
> instructions to integrate it with asterisk.
> Festival seems to work fine on its own performing
text to speech from the
> command line or via a file.
> Asterisk answers the call but there is no speech. I
can see no errors in
> the
> Festival log file
>
> The asterisk console shows
> --Executing Answer("SIP/81801-c091", "") in a  new
stack
> --Executing Festival("SIP/81801-c091", "mary had a
little lamb") in a  new
> stack
> ==Parsing '/etc/asterisk/festival.conf':Found
> there is nothing else after this
>
> If I start festival as festival --server I can see
the output

> Server 11:39:14 : Festival server started on port
1314
> Client(1) 11:39:21 : accepted from localhost
> Client(1) 11:39:21 : disconnected
>
> Initially I added the code to festival.scm for * but
later patched the