[Asterisk-Users] Oh this is bad.... bindaddr and rtp traffic

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Thu Mar 9 00:46:45 MST 2006

On Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:18 AM Douglas Garstang wrote:

> By 'code for asterisk' are you referring to the Asterisk source code?
> If so, step back and think about your statement for a moment. If, for
> Asterisk to be enterprise class, it's source code needs to be
> modified from it's current content, it's hardly enterprise class, is
> it?

What is this thread all about? Is Asterisk "enterprise class"? The answer is
obvious: It depends on your definition of "enterprise class".

If you definition includes things like "RTP in/out traffic on multiple
interfaces must work" then the answer is no.

If you definition is somewhere along the line "can be used in most
enterprises without problems" then the answer is yes.

If you need a feature you at least have the possibility to code it yourself
(yes, source code). Avaya&Co give you the opportunity to hand in a feature
request but nothing more. Unless you pay for the feature they will probably
not implement it and you have no way of doing so yourself.

Asterisk does not really meet my personal definition of "enterprise class"
but since there is no commonly accepted definition in the first place, why
trust Digiums words on the website at all? I usually do not trust any
marketing phrase like that no matter what the product is. Try Asterisk
yourself and if your decision is that you cannot use it, then don't! But
please stop getting on peoples nerves bashing on the term "enterprise
class". It will not get you or us anywhere.

If you are not satisfied with what Asterisk can achieve you have plenty of
other choices. Feel free to use them. Feel free to contribute to the
project. Constructive criticism is wanted (at least in most of the cases
this seems to be true even though there is room for improvement, agreed).
Currently you are not helping at all. Annoying is a term that comes to mind
though...

Kind regards,
  JP