[Asterisk-Users] System Design

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Wed Mar 8 16:54:13 MST 2006

Lot of questions, lots of variables, but I'll touch base on a few things.

5-10 concurrent calls is hardly anything.  A plain T1 will more than
handle that, even at ulaw or alaw (non)compression.  Throw in a decent
codec, and 10 calls won't even put a dent in your T1.  Heck, it'd
handle all 20 users in your main office, and the 5 users in your
remote office with G729, no problem.

How reliable is the remote office's DSL connection?  I'd make sure you
have a static ip for it (dynamic ips are just slightly problematic,
especially if you have slightly flaky service, coupled with a slightly
flaky modem).  If it's reliable, then just keep that.  What's the
connection speed?  Need to know the upload and download.  If it's
ADSL, then the upload will be a fraction of the download, and will be
the limiting factor.

Since I don't know your specific setup, I can't tell you specifically
what to do.  I'll make some guesses though.  Keep DSL.  No need to use
VPN just for asterisk.  Make sure each end has a static ip (dynamic ip
will work, but is harder to setup and more prone to errors).  Have
each asterisk box register to the other.  For normal incoming and
outgoing calls, just have the asterisk box at that particular location
handle it (no need for the remote office to connect to the main
office's asterisk box, then call out via iax or sip for a
long-distance phone call).  You can create "local" extensions that
when dialed, will ring a person on the other asterisk box.  I.e., a
user at the main office can dial 2001, and get a user at the remote
office.  If you deal with call queues you can group users from both
offices together, no problem.

A T1 or a point to point connection at the remote office would work,
but is probably unecessary.  If their DSL connection is flaky and
unreliable, then start looking at both options.  I'd probably go with
whichever is cheapest, be sure to factor in equipment costs (you can
generally lease equipment with a T1 line, but not with a point to
point connection).

As far as server specs, if all it's going to run is asterisk, then
that's overkill even if it was handling all the calls.  If you think
you need that much server but are on a budget, then get one setup for
dual processors but with just one installed, and less ram but that has
room to add more.  If budget's not a problem, I say go for it!  That
system should last you for quite a while.

As for QOS, sorry I can't help you there.  You could get a cheap
router that has QOS built-in, or run a separate low-end server just
for QOS.  Personally my asterisk box also serves as my nat server, so
I just run QOS directly on it.  It's probably not something you want
to do in an office environment, but it's better than no QOS at all.
Hopefully someone else will give you some good advice on QOS
equipment.

Joseph Tanner