[Asterisk-Users] How to receive faxes with SPA3000 and Asterisk setup

Alejandro Vargas alejandro.anv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 04:21:11 MST 2006

2006/3/7, Zach A <zeeshan at acabling.com>:
> I have SPA3000 receiving PSTN calls and also have a SIP line on the same
> Asterisk server with 5 extensions. Now there is a fax too which comes
> through the PSTN line. Fax calls have short rings. Can Asterisk somehow
> detect those short rings and send the call to the fax machine on one
> extension? Or is there any other way of receiving faxes. Can SPA3000
> send fax calls directly to the fax machine when detecting the short
> rings? I need some solution to receive faxes.

Is the SPA what must detect the distinctive ringing (if it has this
feature). Otherwise, you can use the internal fax detection of
Asterisk, but if you activate it, Asterisk will answer the calls as
soon it rings and "hears" for a fax carrier. If it is detected,
Asterisk can transfer the call to the fax extension or use it's
software fax.

An interesting replacement for asterisk software fax is using iaxfax+hylafax.

--
Alejandro Vargas