[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 501 power over ethernet

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Mon Mar 6 14:25:17 MST 2006

On Mon, March 6, 2006 4:19 pm, pdhales at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> I have installed several hundred polycom's, and I have never seen a
> 500/501
> with a power jack. All with the inline cable, as you mention.
>
> Of course, if someone can provide photo evidence I will stand corrected.

I think the confusion here is the different *ways* the 300/500/600 do PoE:

301 has a power brick, just like (say) a Grandstream.
501 has _almost_ PoE: the cable is (as noted above) in-line, but this
might confuse someone differentiating with the 301.
601 has "true" PoE, where you've got your PoE switch, a stock Ethernet
cable, and the phone -- nothing else, and no special cabling required.

-Ken (purveyor of fine differentiations)