[Asterisk-Users] Program Buttons on Cisco 79xx Phones

Greg Oliver goliver at cistera.com
Sat Mar 4 18:24:40 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 10:34 +0000, Ron Wellsted wrote:

> Unfortunately you have to make a choice:
> SIP firmware - Easy to implement on *, but poor XML support
> SCCP firmware - poor/non-trivial asterisk support, great XML support.

The newest SIP firmware (beta versions) allows the exact XML
functionality as the SCCP versions.  Since Cisco CME and CCM are both
migrating to SIP (CME already has) in their next versions, the loads
provide all the bells and whistles.

We have the development loads and have every Cisco model currently
running in SIP.  Currenltly, I cannot register to * with them since
there is no auth in them yet.  For example - on a 40/60, it only allows
a single global logon (not per line like current SIP firmware) and that
does not even work - never tries to register with asterisk at all and I
only had about an hour at work to spend on it.

I can say that the numbering scheme for SIP loads (7.5, etc) has
remained intact.  So the probable reason there has not been a 7.6
release even with all of the 7.5 bugs is because the 8.0 version is in
beta/development right now.

They are gonna be awesome phones once they have all the SCCP
capabilities for SIP if the decide to merge the codebase into
CCM/3rd-party compatibility.

-Greg