[Asterisk-Users] Background() App From AGI

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Mar 3 17:29:43 MST 2006

I have the following python AGI script.
I know it's been abstracted, but it's still pretty easy to see what's happening.

        self.agi.channelAnswer()
        self.agi.wait(1)
        self.agi.execCmd("background","enter-conf-call-number","")
        self.agi.execCmd("Read","confNum|||","")
        confNum = self.agi.getVar("confNum")

I enter DTMF digits, and read the result with Read() while the sound file is still playing. I always lose the first digit. The docs aren't clear but it appears that Background() is designed to grab the first DTMF digit it sees. I don't want Background() to chomp my first DTMF digit! I want to read them all with Read(). How can I play a sound file, while still waiting for DTMF input and get all the DTMF digits entered?

Thanks,
Doug.