[Asterisk-Users] Re: G729 and Meetme

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Thu Mar 2 16:46:48 MST 2006

You can really mix G729 encoded frames. So I would guess that licenses are  not needed for non-G279 devices. BTW, there is a difference conference app (forgot the name) that only mixes the two parties that have the loudest volumn. It sounds more efficent to me this way. There is no reason to listen to three or more party talking at the same time anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Bill
Michaelson
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:01 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Re: G729 and Meetme

I suppose that in order to accomplish conferencing, Asterisk must produce a broadcast audio stream (waveform) which is a numerically combined derivative of all of the input audio streams.  In order to do so, it almost cetainly will work with uncompressed data.  Therefore, encoding such as G.729 is unsuitable for this purpose.  It must be decoded first.

I have noticed that when I try to connect multiple G729 VoIP devices into a MeetMe conference that I can only add up to the number of G729 licenses I have.  Now I would think that because all the devices are G729, this wouldn't be the case and the only license that would ever be used would be if a non G729 device or Zap channel was a part of the Meetme conference.  This is apparently note the case.  Can anyone explain to me exactly why this is.  I don't really mind buying more licenses if I need to but I can't seem to wrap my head around where the Codec translation that is requiring the license is taking place.

Regards,

Raymond McKay