[Asterisk-Users] G729 and Meetme

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 12:19:44 MST 2006

On 3/2/06, Raymond McKay <asterisk at raynettech.com> wrote:

> I have noticed that when I try to connect multiple G729 VoIP devices into a
> MeetMe conference that I can only add up to the number of G729 licenses I
> have.  Now I would think that because all the devices are G729, this
> wouldn't be the case and the only license that would ever be used would be
> if a non G729 device or Zap channel was a part of the Meetme conference.
> This is apparently note the case.  Can anyone explain to me exactly why this
> is.  I don't really mind buying more licenses if I need to but I can't seem
> to wrap my head around where the Codec translation that is requiring the
> license is taking place.

 app_meetme transcodes all media to SLINEAR to mux it through the
psuedo Zap channel for conferencing and this is why codec translation
is taking place. It does this to accomodate multiple participants
coming in with the different codecs, and also because Zaptel itself
operates with media that is very near SLINEAR.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/