[Asterisk-Users] Zoom 5801 problems with * (Wellgate 3701a)

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Wed Mar 1 10:59:19 MST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:46 AM, asterisk at anime.net wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Martin Joseph wrote:
>>> I just found out, the 5801 does not support voip to FXO bridging.
>>> Only FXS to FXO bridging is supported.
>> That's not an FXO then.
>
> It is an FXO, it can do FXO->voip bridging. Just not the other way
> round yet. I guess it's planned for a future firmware revision, like
> t.38.
Yeah and the HT-488 is going to work perfectly "someday" too ;~)
Actually I believe it will too.

This whole Voip arena seems to be  filled with not ready for prime time
products and vendors that sell half baked stuff with a promises of
"future updates". Scary being a "early" adopter.

The Wellgate 3701a  FYI, is a solid looking and seemingly workable 1
port 1FXS-1FXO.

Issues with the wellgate?
1) incredibly silly business practices when purchasing (ie WelltechUSA
insisted on a wire for funds).
2) Laughably bad documentation.  Really crap.  Any 7th grade english
speaker could improve the english is a couple of hours.  It would still
be useless though, as there is NO information. Basically figuring it
out and configuring it are an exercise left to the user.
3) Seems that the FXS snips the first second or two of audio?  This
could be a configuration issue.
4) This device is only lately "compatible" with asterisk, so there
isn't much help in this forum or in the wiki either.
5) poorly organized and missing configuration screens.  Want to change
the setup for the WAN port?  forget it. unless this is hidden
somewhere, it doesn't exist. I am using the LAN port only.

That's all that comes to mind at this second,  there is probably more
also.

Still, despite the hassle and the pain in setting it up,  it is head
and shoulders above the HT-488.  At least it has fricking volume
adjustments for each port.  This goes a long way toward fixing echo
issues like mine.  My 15000+ft loop is now working well and is echo
free.  Even those cell phone calls coming in that were echo-rrific
before are ok now.  So it looks like it's a winner for me in that
regard.

It's only been in service here for 4 days,  so I will update if
something pops.