[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with T1 card on laptop

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Mar 1 02:34:52 MST 2006

> What are the options to hook a T1 card up to a laptop running * ? Are
> there USB or PCMCIA T1 cards ?
>
> Has anyone tried a USB to PCI adapter as such :
> http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/cardbus_expansion/1slot/
> It looks nice but cost 1k
>
> how about the linux drivers ?
> the goal is to have a portable demo system

Highly unlikely that any of the usb or pcmcia type approaches would work
with asterisk without you having to seriously modify the zaptel drivers.
The drivers are written to use specific hardware/OS interfaces that
can't be masked via some third-party device proxy driver.

The fonebridge aproach that someone mentioned has a couple of stated
items that should be read carefully. One is "approved server", suggesting
the drivers only work on certain types of servers and/or distros. The
second is that it uses TDMoE which is limited to layer-2 communications
only, and may not work reliably with laptops due to pci limitations.

I'd be very curious how many companies have T1/PRI interfaces wired into
a conference room (or whatever) just so someone could demo an asterisk
box. It would seem more appropriate to consider something like a spa3000
for such demos.