[Asterisk-Users] need help troubleshooting clipping and garbledVOIP calls

Philippe Lindheimer p_lindheimer at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 17:25:41 MST 2006

Interesting web tool, but the results are completely misleading and wrong on my system that I just tested it on 5-6 times. And this is a connection that I use regularly for VoIP traffic, multiple channels (although just a few) and I am very familiar with the characteristics of the internet paths to various providers and other trunks I am connected to. So ... from at least one datapoint, doesn't seem reliable.

As far as the QoS issue - there are some reasonable links on the wiki that describe some techniques you can use with the Cisco box and you will also want to investigate if there are issues between you and your provider. Usually though - the issues are at the edge.

Oh - and if Asterisk isn't running as root, the ToS settings won't happen for the outbound packets. (In case you are using that for your ACLs on Cisco for QoS rules). There is a patch that I have never tried. I find it simpler to just use iptables and create a few simple rules to set the ToS for outbound packets based on SIP/IAX and RTP ports per your configuration.

philippe