[Asterisk-Users] asterisk shutdown

William Piper william.piper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:40:40 MST 2006

On 6/28/06, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 04:39:29PM -0400, William Piper wrote:
> > The same thing happened to me... I had to get a linux expert to take
> care of
> > it for me.
> >
> > I believe the files were either "libpam" or "libss". They were telling
> > asterisk to shutdown. I believe they deleted the files it that fixed it.
>
> Is it following a glibc upgrade or something?

I'm not sure what happened only that the answer had to do with those files.
Hell, I don't even know what the files do, all I know is that the files were
like a trojan and were masked as the name of a legitimate file. The affect
was the same as you are having though.

Asterisk is not linked with pam at all. libnss is the glibc name service
> switch and has dynamically loading code.
>

> > Tighten down your firewall.
>
> Could you be more specific?

This problem happened more than once to us. I believe someone found a
weekness in our system & found a way to access the server. We setup tight
iptables and changed passwords and it hasn't happened again.

I don't even know if this is the same thing, but it took about 7 hours of a
linux guru to figure it out. I figure it couldn't hurt telling you about it.

bp