[Asterisk-Users] Standard Sound Files Distortion

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Wed Jun 28 11:16:23 MST 2006

I've been noticing lately what seems to be some distortian in the standard asterisk sound files, used for voicemail. These files are stored on the local Asterisk system. When Asterisk plays them, I can hear some cracles and pops. I'd never noticed these until recently.

I did a little test.

This sounds fine...
exten => 1000,1,Answer
exten => 1000,n,Wait,1
exten => 1000,n,Playback(digits/p-m)
exten => 1000,n,Hangup

while this causes some cracks and pops to be heard during the playing of the 'p-m' file.
exten => 1000,1,Answer
exten => 1000,n,Wait,1
exten => 1000,n,Playback(digits/7)
exten => 1000,n,Playback(digits/p-m)
exten => 1000,n,Hangup

If I replace digits/7 with digits/8, I get the same result. But, as I said, if I just play digits/p-m, I don't hear the distortion.

I haven't got a clue what could be causing this. Does anyone else?

Doug