[Asterisk-Users] Most stable Asterisk version

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Tue Jun 27 20:43:06 MST 2006

if you go with 1.0.X you can't go wrong, and there is plenty of stuff that
it can do that will keep you busy. Problem is it is sooo tempting to use the
new candy in 1.2.X or head. But for me, 1.0.X is the way to go as long as
you can deal with echo cancellation problems (think Sangoma or go to
asterisk-backports.org for a KB1 Zaptel that works on 1.0.9)

In January, there was a date bug that caused 1.2.X systems to fail, and it
comes with the turf. Digium et al is busy pumping out cool new stuff and
they by no means have the time, staff, volunteers, or formal testing
methodology to whump on the code that they produce if they want to ship
sometime this decade. I'm not saying they are crap coders, or 1.2.X is a
shoddy product, by no means, but there is no such thing as bug free
software, just bug-tested and patched software, and that only comes if the
producer has the resources to test it under every imaginable circumstance
and or the enduser is willing to be a beta. When you use 1.2.9, you become
the latter.