[Asterisk-Users] DUNDi Not Able to HandleComplexFailoverSituations

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Jun 26 15:33:51 MST 2006

> > I get annoyed Stephen when Digium goes around calling Asterisk
> 'enterprise grade', which in my opinion it really isn't. I'd consider
> distributed ACD queues to be a requirement for an enterprise grade
> product, but it's becoming apparent that there is no mechanism for
> implementing this. I'm being told that DUNDi isn't the right man for
the
> job.
>
> I'd suggest you ask Digium for your money back.
>
> Leif.

Question: isn't there a bigger picture issue here?  I've seen a lot of
bashing going on in this thread but not very much useful dialogue.
(Doug bashing DUNDi and Digium, other people bashing Doug for his
"annoying" posts, etc.)

Whether or not we like or dislike Doug's tone is, IMHO, irrelevant.  How
about we tackle the REAL questions: If DUNDi isn't the answer, what is?
Is Asterisk even capable of doing what Doug needs, namely, distributed
ACD queues?  If so, how?  If not, why?  Is it even feasible to try to do
it?  Will it require an Asterisk add-on, or can the core be modified to
do this? (This leads to the question for the dev list...)

These questions, of course, lead to other questions: If * can be
programmed to do distributed ACD queues, does that mean there are other
features that might benefit from a "distributed" model?  Etc., etc.  I'm
just throwing out ideas because maybe one of these ideas can turned into
a killer app, just like Asterisk itself.  Just think of the advantage
you would have if you wanted to sell Asterisk against one of the big
boys.  How much would a fully redundant, HA Asterisk system cost
compared to the same thing by Cisco, Avaya, Nortel, NEC...  You get the
idea.

The moral of this post: a little good-natured bashing is just fine, but
let's not lose sight of the ultimate goal, which is to keep making
Asterisk a better product.

-MC