[Asterisk-Users] RE: Voice calls sent to fax extension

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jun 26 08:20:16 MST 2006

Paul A. Pringle wrote:

>I thought it might be an inadvertent button press, but none of the keys
>(on my phone at least) are recognized by Asterisk as fax tones.  This
>has happened to two different users getting calls from different people
>using different equipment.  Does anyone else see this behavior
>occasionally?

Yes, which is why I disable faxdetect entirely.  My sister-in-law was
constantly being detected as a fax machine several minutes into
conversations with my wife.  As funny as that may seem at first ...
those two eventually make it a not-so-funny situation for me.

The fax detection should, in theory, only be looking for CNG tones and
should, in theory, only be looking for them during the first several
seconds of a call.  Analogue DTMF tones should not be detectable as CNG,
in theory.

Lee.