[Asterisk-Users] PCI or MiniPCI Hardware DSP for G.729, G.723.1 and/or GSM

Paul Hewlett paul at cottonpickinminds.co.za
Sat Jun 24 06:44:18 MST 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 23:51, Roland Zagler wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> we are searching for a hardware based DSP solution for use
> with Asterisk based on PCI or MiniPCI to reduce main processor
> load and to use embedded boards with Digium E1/T1 cards like
> TE410P.
>
> does anyone know about any manufactorer of those cards or someone
> who is able to develop/build such cards?
>
> Specifications:
> PCI or MiniPCI
> up to 120 concurrent transcodings
> Codecs: G.729/G.729A or G.723.1 or GSM or combinations of them

I would imagine that this would not solve any problems - the extra overhead of
piping the data over the PCI bus would very quickly negate any speed gains of
the DSP over the native Intel FPU. Additionally you would probably introduce
extra latency. I did quite a lot of work on DSP co-processor boards and there
was always a considerable startup time when all the data pipes had to be
filled.

A better solution would be to use a Dual Xeon machine - port just the
transcoding code to a standalone app that reads/write from a pipe and set up
linux  to only run this code on one of the processors. Modify the asterisk
transcoding interface to 'callout' to this app and you are done. Data is
transferred via the memory (and not by the PCI bus).

Also there is a Via epia motherboard with a built-in MPEG chip that may also
do this kind of job...

Paul Hewlett