[Asterisk-Users] troubleshooting echo on speakerphone

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Jun 23 10:59:03 MST 2006

Sounds like a reflection echo i.e. the customer's voice is coming out of the
speaker, hitting a flat wall, and is being picked up by the mic on the
speakerphone. Try attenuating the microphone, or to test for it, move the
speakerphone to a smaller room or one with fabric walls like a cubicle.
Dollars to doughnuts, it goes away.

As to the stuttering, it is most likely because the audio is being
suppressed during speech or turned to half-duplex, which speakerphones are
notorious for. Speakerphones, voip or not, are tricky beasts and I try to
discourage their use amongst my users whenever possible. I personally
dislike speakerphones; I consider them rude.