[Asterisk-Users] Echo and crackle

Joshua West jwest at boston-engineering.com
Thu Jun 22 13:53:32 MST 2006

Crackling is usually a sign of IRQ issues, as Mojo wrote.  Digium's full
documentation on solving IRQ issues are here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+PCI+bus+Troubleshooting

Regarding echo on POTS lines, I wish you the best of luck.  Fixing your
IRQ problems may reduce the delay enough that echo will not be noticed,
but we were unable to do just that with our previous system's
configuration (13 POTS lines).  After extensive testing, we finally
moved over to a T1 (ESF .. not an ISDN PRI).  Unfortunately, we still
experienced echo when calling or receiving calls from people/systems
using analog telephone lines.  Implementing a Ditech Communications
SX-24 T1 echo cancellation module inside the Gemini-T shelf solved our
problems.  Adios echo, no more users upset, etc.  This unit is however
no longer available from Ditech Communications
(ditechcommunications.com) as the product has gone end of life.

I recommend doing your best to remove the crackling first as the cause
of crackling could be also affecting echo.  There have been some people
reporting results of getting rid of echo on POTS lines by just tweaking
Asterisk/Zaptel.

If you get stuck on solving echo - or find its really hard to determine
if echo still exists - let me know.  I have a lot of good tricks up my
sleeve regarding exact measurement of echo using free software and a
little bit of analysis (with pretty pictures etc).  I should probably
put this info on the voip-info.org wiki... hmm...

--
Joshua West
Linux Infrastructure Engineer