[Asterisk-Users] GXP-2000

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Wed Jun 21 23:15:17 MST 2006

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>> I happen to have asterisk running as a router, so I use it doing QoS
>> with tc (traffic control) and wondershaper set to prioritize based on
>> port ranges.  I sent a patch to the debian bug tracking system a
>> while back with a few improvements -- I should check on that.  It
>> basically prioritizes smaller packets before larger packets with ~8
>> levels of priority and groups of sizes for the packets.  Just doing
>> that automatically handles 80% of the need for prioritization without
>> specifying port ranges for the sip rtp packets.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike,
>
>     Have you tried AstShape?  Shapping based on port ranges is totally
> hit or miss.  TOS is the way to go:
>
> http://www.krisk.org/files/astlinux-i586/usr/sbin/astshape
>
> Comment out the . /etc/rc.conf and you should be okay!

Actually the above is wrong.  I don't use port ranges at all, just
packet sizes.  It allows me to blast away with p2p, interactive ssh and
scp file copies all while having two g.711 and one g.729 voip
conversation going on a dsn connection with a 384Kbps upload speed.

It is based on the premise that smaller packets should have higher
priority.  There will be exceptions of course, and empty classes have
are there for that also.  For the common case, no configuration is
necessary.

Give this one a try:
http://mikefedyk.com/wondershaper-pkt-size-classes

Mike