[Asterisk-Users] Re: Echo and crackle

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Wed Jun 21 18:03:12 MST 2006

Steve Jones wrote:
> I went through the same thing on my home system a couple months ago, and
> asked similar questions..  The "conventional wisdom" is that "it
> depends"...  It depends on your local loop length, quality, taps on the
> line, etc..
>
> It seems that most people who have the sangoma cards with hardware echo
> cancellation are happy, but I didn't have that kind of money to spend on
> my home system, so I bought the TDM400 card.  In my case, I bought two
> FXO and one FXS....  Also just "in my case", the difference was huge -
> All of a sudden my echo problems were gone.  So, although I probably
> would have been better off with the hardware echo, in my particular
> case, the Digium works great, and did make a huge difference over the
> voice modem I had been using.
>
> Just for comparisons sake, my two FXOs are connected to:  1 Vonage ATA
> (Motorola), and one Verizon pots line.  I am about 2.5 miles from the
> CO, but I don't know the path that the cable takes, or if there's a SLC
> somewhere, so I don't know how long the loop is.  The line is DSL
> qualified, so I don't think there's a SLC, but I'm not positive..
>
> Since you've already got the card, you'd probably be able to get the FXO
> for around $65, right?  I'd say that is your best bet, with very little
> money risked..
>
> Good luck!!
>
> -Steve

FWIW I picked up the FXO card for the TDM400 and it is noticeably better
at echo training than the X101P with basically the same settings.  I got
it in Canada for CDN$99 with next-day delivery.  I could find it for
CDN$89 from a place that appears like it is in Canada but ships from the
USA via US Post and incurs duty to get it across the border.

Mike