[Asterisk-Users] Re: User Loses Ability to Make Outgoing Call s

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Jun 21 15:26:41 MST 2006

If I understand this correctly, this is a user outside your firewall dialing
in to your office over the Internet. Always, inbound calls work, but
sometimes, outbound calls do not work. So if you have replaced the hardware
totally, and you still have the same problem, it could be a routing issue
with an upstream ISP. The way to test for this is to do a traceroute from
her LAN to your office. Then, you do a traceroute from your LAN to her IP
address. If you compare the two traceroutes, they should be the same (except
reversed). If they are not, then traffic outbound is being routed along a
different (sub-optimal) path. If they are the same, try to do a traceroute
during the problem period, then compare it to the original traceroute. If
they are different, there is your problem, most likely. If it turns out to
be funny routing, then you are going to have a hard time solving it - the
procedure is to talk with her ISP, who if they are on a good mood, will talk
to *their* upstream ISP about stabilizing the route for you. I have done
this before and it worked out for me, but YMMV.