[Asterisk-Users] USB handset options for softphones

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Wed Jun 21 10:35:47 MST 2006

With few exceptions a USB phone is just and audio device to the host PC. Most will work with any soft phone. The Phoenix Duet and MV900 that I have used both worked equally well with
Asterisk, Sip Phone/Gizmo, FWD, Firefly and Skype.

There are some "Skype Certified" hardware devices appearing. These usually have buttons that mimic the software buttons on the Skype client. In doing that they use the Skype API directly.
They may work as normal handsets with other soft phones, but I've never tried this.

Michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Warren
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:30:03 -0400

I am assuming you are talking about the Skype handsets here...  Which soft phones do these work with?  Any linux ones?

Michael Graves wrote: Voip Supply has a number of USB handsets available... see http://www.voipsupply.com/index.php?cPath=95_258 I'm not affiliated with them beyond being a happy
customer.

There are also a few USB handsets that look like desk phones. I have seen these offered in the $50-70 range, some even with speaker phones. Not sure where though. Try a quick search on
Ebay.

Michael