[Asterisk-Users] Caller-ID Info with Voice Mail -- Can it display to the phone?

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:56:05 MST 2006

> Message: 21
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:12:38 -0500
> From: Brian Swan <swannie at swannie.net>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Caller-ID Info with Voice Mail -- Can it
>         display to the phone?
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> We recently switched my wife's business over to an Asterisk setup
> using Cisco IP phones (7940s and 7960s) with chan_sccp.  They didn't
> use any kind of "office-style" phone system before, they had one
> phone in the office with a built in answering machine that would
> display the Caller ID of the person who left the message while
> playing the message.  I know in the Asterisk VM system, I can get it
> to read back the name and number, but I'm wondering if there is a way
> I can get that information to display on the Cisco display as well?
> Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way to do this.  I don't
> mind writing some custom XML apps either...
>
> Any one have any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks!
> Brian
>
> Brian-

I've been working on this for some time- and it is possible, although has a
few pitfalls.  I'm not done with the Asterisk VM object to support it yet,
but I have developed a Services menu item for 79XX series phone (using
CMXML3- it won't work for SIP loads yet- although I havent tested it with an
8.0 series load)  that will show you the voicemail by caller id, allow you
to select (cherry-pick, as it were), then playback, delete, mark
read/unread, and return the call.  The system is backended by a php class I
wrote to work with Cisco Unity- but I'm just about to start work on the
class for Asterisk VM.  (at my current pace, expect it in a few months).
The system is developed privately- not GPL, not for sale- done for a client-
but I am free to discuss the methods and madness within it, or develop a
parallel system and contribute bits back to the OSS community- it's just
tied in larger proprietary system which would be difficult to chop out
without some time I don't have in my schedule right now.  If the Asterisk
class development goes well, I may do so- but it won't happen for a while.

I'd be happy to discuss the implementation details with you if you'd like.

-Paul Davidson
 PlanCommunications, LLC