[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 23, Issue 135

Michael Wallette mike at gecko-ak.org
Mon Jun 19 18:10:26 MST 2006

There's an excellent tutorial on Cisco's web page at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6b68.shtml

It will tell you just about everything you wanted to know about echo and
more :)

The short answer to your question, however, is that echo is comprised of
two components: volume and delay. Increase either one and the problem
gets worse. In the PSTN, the delay tends to be rather short (25ms or
less) for most calls, and therefore, tends not to be noticed by the
average listener.

In a VoIP call, on the other hand, you must first translate the audio
signal into digital, with a subsequent delay, pass the digital data
through various routers, each of which add additional delay, then
reconvert the digital data back into analog audio, which again adds
still more delay. The sum of all of these delays is more than the
threshold of 25ms, and as a result, what may have been an imperceptible
echo on the PSTN is now a very apparent -- and very annoying -- echo in
the VoIP call.

--Mike