[Asterisk-Users] Can I enter an extension to dial while voicemail is playing?

John Klimek jklimek at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:18:22 MST 2006

I have a very, very simple Asterisk setup in my house.  I have a
Sipura 3000 with a PSTN line connected and one analog phone connected.

The [incoming] context looks like this:

exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/50,23,r)
exten => s,2,VoiceMail(u50 at default)
exten => s,3,Playback(vm-goodbye)
exten => s,4,Hangup

As you can see, when somebody calls in if I don't answer in 23 seconds
then they are forwarded to my voicemail.

How can I make it so I can call an enter extensions either while the
phone is ringing or while the voicemail message is playing?  I want
the system to be as seemless as possible so the wife is happy =)

Right now it works great because my Sipura 3000 forwards to call to
Asterisk and Asterisk rings my analog phone, but the incoming caller
hears a steady dial-tone the whole time.  I wouldn't want that to
change.  (so the caller isn't wondering what is going on)

Any help is appriciated :)