[Asterisk-Users] Creating Queues on Asterisk server - Sending ingress calls off-net to either PSTN or another VoIP application - thoughts?

Christopher Aloi chris.aloi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 17:19:08 MST 2006

Hello,

Long time subscriber/reader of this list - thank you for all the great
ideas.

Scenario:

We currently provide a hosted ACD system using Mitel phones (speaking the
Minet protocol) to an NCI based server solution.  The logic behind this
choice was the emulation of key system features etc...

Many of our clients have asked for basic call queue functionality:
- Agents having the ability to login to a specific queue
- Call distributed to that queue based on criteria
- Basic reporting (ASA, AHT etc..)

Solutions:

- Flip the Mitel phones to load a SIP firmware and speak to AST (althought
i'd love it, the powers that be probably won't)
- Use the Asterisk queueing ability to send calls off network (AST) to the
NCI platform (the Asterisk box can send these calls via SIP or TDM through a
gateway).

Goals:

I'd like to create an Asterisk server running multiple queues for multiple
tenants (or customers) that can provide the ability for agents to login
remotely (either via an ingress call to AST or a www gui).  The call flow
would be similar to this:

Agent#1 - logs into Mitel phone
Agent#1 - Dials XXX XXX XXXX into Astersik
Agent#1 - Hears a prompt on Asterisk to login to a specifc queue
Agent#1 - Passes DTMF and becomes 'available' in the eyes of Asterisk
Agent#1 - Is now in queue

*repeat for three agents*

Now, all three agents are in an available state to Asterisk, and logged into
our one queue.  If Asterisk receives a call on a specific DID it will
attempt to send the goal to agent#1, if agent#1 rings three times or returns
a 'busy here' the call will pass to agent#2 etc.

The challenge I see will be configuring an off-network queue, is anyone
working with a similar setup?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to better accomplish my goals?

Thanks in advance.

/Chris