[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail with NFS

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Fri Jun 16 13:17:53 MST 2006

I have /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail NFS mounted from another server. Everything is fine, until I simulate an NFS server failure, by shutting down the NFS server process.

At this point, Asterisk becomes almost non-responsive. It won't even process a 'sip show peers' command correctly. It displays a few lines of text, pauses for several seconds, and then displays the rest. When a call comes into the system, Asterisk seems to do nothing for several seconds, and generally acts really sluggish. The phone gives up after several seconds, because Asterisk isn't doing anything.

I have used the soft option with the NFS mount.

I hope someone isn't going to tell me that the voicemail directory going away is going to cause Asterisk to fall in a heap on the floor. We just changed our model from a single, central voicemail server, to a distributed model, to get around some issues. We can't lose ALL pbx functionality just because the voicemail NFS server goes away. That's insane.

Doug.