RESOLVED Re: [Asterisk-Users] Problems and questions with setting up a Feature Group D trunk to a Nortel DMS-10 switch

John Fulton jfulton at arctic.net
Thu Jun 15 15:06:52 MST 2006

I was having problems with a Feature Group D trunk into a Nortel
DMS-10 switch in our Nome office in Alaska.

After receiving the digit spill with the called number, and calling
number (ANI) from the switch, Asterisk would wink the switch and then
the switch would hang up on the trunk.

After a TON of debugging, many days on the phone with Digium, and
watching a T-berd, we discovered a timing issue with Asterisk that
was slightly out of spec.

After the LD provider (Asterisk) sends the acknowledgement wink for
the digit spill, the LD provider is supposed to wait on-hook for
250ms before going off-hook. Asterisk was immediately transferring
control of the call to extensions.conf after the wink which executed
Answer() within 50ms causing it to go off-hook too soon.

To fix the problem, all I had to do was add a 300ms wait before
executing Answer():
[default]
exten => _X.,1,Wait(.3)
exten => _X.,n,Answer()
I hope this helps anyone else that may run into this problem.

John Fulton
TelAlaska Inc.
Anchorage, AK