[Asterisk-Users] EC needed in all-digital situation?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jun 15 13:06:30 MST 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 15:35, Warren wrote:
> So the next question becomes...  Is hardware EC necessary or can *
> handle it in software?  I am looking at some pretty beefy hardware for
> my platform, a Dell PE2850 with dual Xeon 3Ghz processors and plenty of
> RAM to spare.  I am likely starting with a single T-1 PRI line and

It's not a question of beef, it's a question of how good the software echo
cancellation algorithms in Zaptel are.  Very recently (within the last 7
days) Steven Underwood commented on the state of the Zaptel echo cancellers
in this list.  Long story short: they're all fairly poor.  Having said that,
they may work well enough for you.

My personal recommendation (having been down both roads) is to go with the
hardware echo can unless you have a client base who is willing to put up with
intermittent echo troubles.  How intermittent seems to depend entirely on the
types of places you call and the particulars of your system's PCI subsystem.

-A.