[Asterisk-Users] Web UI - Best practices?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jun 14 23:33:22 MST 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:48:35PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:51:06AM -0400, Mike wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm stuck writing a Web GUI because nothing out there is exactly what I
> >>need.  I'm not writing something as extensive as what _is_ out there, but
> >>just something that allows users to change where their calls are forwarded
> >>and other small things like that.
> >>
> >>What I wanted to know is what is recommended by those you successfully
> >>wrote
> >>their own UI :
> >>
> >>1) Modifying the config directly in the Asterisk RealTime DB and and use
> >>Asterisk Realtime? This seems like the obvious choice, but I have a bad
> >>feeling about this method...especially with respect to future changes I
> >>would make to my UI or that the Asterisk dev team would make to their own
> >>tables / code
> >>

> >Non-static real time mean that your PBX becomes non-functional if the DB
> >server has a problem (or is even a bit loaded).
> Why is it that more people haven't turned to LDAP to solve this problem?
>
> It is optimized for a light write and heavy read workload that seems
> perfectly suited for use in a PBX dial plan.

It is "lightweight" for a large enterprise environment. Not for a single
stand-alone machine.

OpenLDAP and "just works" are two different things in my own memory.

And your setup still depends on the availbility of another
server/service.

BTW: I forgot to mention another option:

using '#exec' in the config files to regenerate the relevant parts on
reload. This can save you most of the permissions problems. You only
need to permit the web interface to do an 'extensions reload' (through
sudo or whatever), but the cost of that reload is now higher.

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com