[Asterisk-Users] WRTG54GS Capacity

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:47:51 MST 2006

Daniel,

> > Does anyone know how many simultaneous calls can a WRTG54GS handle?
> > Assuming SIP phones are connected locally using G711.u codec and the
> > WRTG54GS connects to a remote Asterisk server using IAX2 trunking
> > using GSM codec.

Here are some of my experiences with Asterisk (I think 1.0.7) on
WRT54G (not GS). You can definitely handle four concurrent calls.
Possibly more but we didn't try it as we only had 2 x 2 port ATAs
connected to it. Without transcoding (ulaw only) the CPU load is
fairly low, but you are running fairly quickly out of memory -- both
the flash to store anything and the RAM to run things. I think each
thread shows up as a separate process in top on the WRT, so typically
you see 10+ asterisk processes. With transcoding (ulaw <-> g726 in our
case) the CPU gets fairly loaded with just couple calls, so I wouldn't
plan for more than two concurrent calls with transcoding. Preferably
none.

These tests were done SIP to SIP, sorry not IAX. However, I don't
think the protocol change would make a huge impact.

We have finally dropped WRT as the platform because Asterisk crashed
fairly frequently on it. Once a week pretty much guaranteed, sometimes
every day with a call volume of about 200 calls/day. Canreinvite=yes
crashed it every time reproducibly. The router itself stayed up for
days if not months, so the safe_asterisk script restarted asterisk in
a few seconds, but that's still less than ideal. This crashing is
probably due to the old Asterisk version than anything else, but I
didn't compile it; it was a binary that came from OpenWRT and I didn't
have time to investigate this further.

Couple weeks ago someone provided a package of a newer version for the
WRT and I may try that and report. I still have the router in service
(which currently is used only a router) so if you need more info let
me know.

--Luki