[Asterisk-Users] Easiest (best?) linux distribution for dedicatedAsterisk box?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Wed Jun 14 16:49:28 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 01:15:03PM -0700, shadowym wrote:
>
>> FreePBX or AAH(aka trixbox) requires 256MB of RAM minimum to run properly.
>> Just sitting there doing nothing on my test system it is using 170MB.
>>

> How exactly do you meassure memory usage?
>
> E.g: on my laptop:
>
> $ free
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers   cached
> Mem:        483056     476320       6736          0    70820     169360
> -/+ buffers/cache:     236140     246916
> Swap:       976744       3048     973696
>
> Technically you could say that it only has 6.7 MB free. But actually
> some 220MB are used for buffers and caching by the kernel (because
> unused memory is wasted memory).
>
> BTW: where did you get the idea that Asterisk == FrePBX? Asterisk is not
> known to require MySQL and Apace to run.
My home debian linux box runs, iptables, asterisk, apache2, exim,
dovecot, dhcpd, proftpd and tftpd on a PPRO 200Mhz with 64MB ram for two
users.

Yep, it swaps a bit, (especially when running something big like emacs),
but it does what it needs to do and it doesn't have a high load on it.
The only thing I'm not running is mysql and astmanproxy.

I doubt centos requires much more memory than debian.