[Asterisk-Users] Directory - First Name/Last Name - How to use both? a@h?

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Wed Jun 14 10:53:54 MST 2006

Brent Torrenga wrote:
> I would like to offer that functionality in my system - and I'd have done it
> by now if there was a prompt where Allison asks "press 1 to search by first
> name, press 2 to search by last name". But I don't think that prompt exists.
>
> Can someone explain how (or just tell me that it does not exist) A at Home
> gives the search option?

I am not familiar with A at H, but this is how you do a dial-by-name directory:

;first name
exten => 1,1,Directory(default,default,f)
;last name
exten => 2,1,Directory(default,default)

More details below:

pbx*CLI> show application Directory
pbx*CLI>
   -= Info about application 'Directory' =-

[Synopsis]
Provide directory of voicemail extensions

[Description]
   Directory(vm-context[|dial-context[|options]]): This application will
present
the calling channel with a directory of extensions from which they can
search
by name. The list of names and corresponding extensions is retrieved
from the
voicemail configuration file, voicemail.conf.
   This applicaiton will immediate exit if one of the following DTMF
digits are
received and the extension to jump to exists:
     0 - Jump to the 'o' extension, if it exists.
     * - Jump to the 'a' extension, if it exists.

   Parameters:
     vm-context   - This is the context within voicemail.conf to use for the
                    Directory.
     dial-context - This is the dialplan context to use when looking for an
                    extension that the user has selected, or when
jumping to the
                    'o' or 'a' extension.

     f - Allow the caller to enter the first name of a user in the directory
         instead of using the last name.

--
Darrick Hartman
DJH Solutions, LLC