[Asterisk-Users] Easiest (best?) linux distribution for dedicated Asterisk box?

Lachek Butalek lachek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:26:58 MST 2006

While it's not the way I do it personally, I've been told the
absolutely easiest setup is Asterisk at Home. It is based on CentOS so
security updates should be coming down at a decent pace and I imagine
this could be set up to occur automatically. At that point, you pretty
much have a fire-and-forget Asterisk install with most of the bells
and whistles.

My personal choice is Slackware - combined with a 3rd party package
managing tool called Swaret you can set up a very slim, simple and
secure box in a very short amount of time and have do security patch
deployments automatically, much like CentOS/Redhat/etc. I'm personally
running Asterisk with FreePBX on an Apple PowerMac G3 266MHz using
Slackintosh, with great results so far.

Your system should be fine, though I'd probably dump some more RAM
into it if I were you - especially if you want to run A at H, which uses
a MySQL database and the Apache webserver, among other things.