[Asterisk-Users] Can this config sustain 30 users?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue Jun 13 12:51:59 MST 2006

Erick Perez wrote:
> I have this server I need to put to work.
> The option I have is to make it work as a small office PBX with SIP
> users and a Digium E1 Card for PSTN service.
>
> 24 SIP users and one E1 card in an Intel 945board (533 Front side bus)
> with  1GB DDR 533mhz of ram, one Pentium Dual Core 2.66 ghz (FSB
> 533MHZ) and two 80GB SATA disks.
> Can the box sustain the load? I can add another 1gb of ram if necessary.
>
> Just PBX and voicemail, no fancy sutff like call recording...
> maybe a simple autoattendant like "thank you for calling, please press
> one for...."
Let's just say that you shouldn't have trouble with four E1 lines in
this system (as long as you have a hardware echo canceler).  Even with
software echo can, this hardware is overkill.

I'd suggest getting the slowest processor available new (At least 1.5Ghz
for AMD Athlon/Opteron and 2.xGhz  for Intel P4/Xeon) and get redundant
power supplies, ECC memory, RAID 1 or higher and a nice UPS.

You may also think of looking at used previous generation high-end
equipment.  It still has all of the good engineering and redundancy, it
just isn't new and in many cases you don't need the latest speedy
equipment to handle the load.  In many instances, the same money spent
buying used high quality equipment will give you more reliability than
buying cheap new equipment.